In winter, we lose a lot of moisture from our skin, and this is a condition, which is impossible to avoid. The dry and cold wind conditions are such that it strips us of the natural moisture content we generate, making it essential for us to replenish moisture lost outdoors.
Why is lip care essential?
Most of us know that our facial skin is ten times thinner than the rest of the body, and therefore it contains sebaceous glands for its protection. This is why, during the winters, they become dry, crack, and even bleed a few times. Let’s now hear why we have chapped lips.
Reasons for chapped lips
- During the winter season, cold, dry conditions contribute to the cracks in the lips that the surrounding area tends to strip our skin of its moisture.
- The older you get, the more likely the lips are to dry them.
- Biting and licking the lips is the worst habit we usually have, which adds dry lips and bleeding.
- Continually touch our lips using our hands also leave behind bacteria, which could then aggravate chapped lip problem.
Protect your lips:
Follow the steps below to understand how you can take care of your lips.
- The first step you need to take to protect your lips is to moisturize them and nourish them well by drinking plenty of water. People usually drink more water in the summers compared to winters. But drinking the right amount of water in winter will also help you keep the drought at bay. Water is the best way to keep your lips hydrated from the inside.
- It is an entirely natural reaction to lick your lips when they are dry. But you have to leave this bad habit behind immediately, mostly because once you get them, the wind will dry out again and but you lick also, and the process will never stop. This constant process will do significant damage to your lips.
- Chapped lips indicate that you have a vitamin B2 deficiency. So make sure your food contains enough vitamin B supplements.
- For winters, you should select special lip balms with additional moisturizers. Find the best lip balms or chapsticks that provide more food, and power have long stayed so that you can stay lips moist longer. Wear with you forever and apply to your lips when you feel your lips are starting to dry out. It is best if your SPF lip balm contains in it. Choose lip balms with jojoba oil, vitamin E, and shea butter for the particular season.
- Now, if you are used to smoking, you must quit smoking! For this may be the main reason for your cracked and dry lips.
- Exfoliate your lips with a good scrub or small brush to remove dead cells from time to time. Sugar is one of the best lip scrubs if you want to take care of them from your kitchen itself. After washing, apply a good lip balm for better results. This will make extra soft and shiny longer.
- If you are used to using lipstick, then choose lipsticks with moisturizing ingredients. And never forget to remove it with a good makeup remover before going to bed, followed by the application of a moisturizing lip balm.
- Avoid using balms containing glycerin, petrochemicals, alcohol, menthol, and retinol in winter. These are only good for summers. Home remedies:
- If your lips tend to become extremely dry, then try applying ghee or honey during the nights before going to bed. It is the best way to clean and moisture our lips. This is also a well-known remedy for dark lips due to sun exposure.
- Another famous old home remedy for curing dry and chapped lips is to press a bag of green tea against your lips for 3 to 4 minutes a day at the level of moisture increases in them naturally.